Published: Mon, April 03, 2017
Health Care | By Jan Bell

5 more children released after carbon monoxide pool leak


Authorities in southwestern MI have identified a 13-year-old boy who died after a carbon monoxide leak in a hotel pool area that also sickened about a dozen people.

WNDU-TV and WSBT-TV report that officials at Lakeland Hospital in Niles confirmed the child's death Saturday.

Bryan Watts, 13, was pronounced dead on arrival when he was taken to the hospital. Police say a seventh child was found unresponsive in a first-floor room.

The highest levels of carbon monoxide were detected in the pool area, but could also be detected in other locations in the hotel, mainly the lower level.

Lebanon PM calls for urgent global support in hosting Syrian refugees
He said much of the worldwide community was also failing refugees, increasingly closing borders and turning them away. Baloch said Turkey had seen an increase of 47,000 Syrian refugees since February, bringing its total to 2.97 million.

Be proactive - Use the "Flag as Inappropriate" link at the upper right corner of each comment to let us know of abusive posts. MLive.com reports Wise said the carbon monoxide buildup was caused by the pool heater.

The carbon monoxide monitor used upon entering the hotel revealed that the levels were 16 times the safety limit at 800 parts per million, Wise said.

The children were discovered unconscious in the indoor pool area of Quality Inn & Suite in Niles.

There has been no information released about the severity of the condition of those people who were taken from the scene to hospital.

Top aide to President Donald Trump leaves administration
The White House is experiencing a major staff-shakeup since the forced resignation of Michael Flynn as national security adviser. A source familiar with the situation added that "getting that coalition on the outside to support this is significant".

The other children rushed to hospital are reported to be in a stable condition in hospital. The staff members immediately opened the doors to the indoor-pool area and called 911, he said. If the case is isolated to just the pool area, the hotel will reopen once fully aired out. The maximum allowable by OSHA standards is 50 parts per million.

"Carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless, tasteless".

Two hotel workers were among those hospitalized, along with several law enforcement officers who responded to the incident.

Officials say they found another girl unresponsive when they cleared the hotel's rooms.

Venezuela court says it can take over Congress' powers
Late on Wednesday, however, it authorized Maduro to create oil joint ventures without congressional approval. Numerous countries also condemned the court verdict, while Peru recalled its ambassador to Venezuela.

Like this: